Waste and Recycling
Click Here for a List of What Can Go in Your Curbside Recycling
Click Here for a Map to Determine Your Recycling Day.
Curbside Collection Program
Curbside Recycling in Fridley is every other week, on the same day of the week as garbage pick-up. Holidays may move your recycling day back one day. To find out if you are in a blue or a gray zone and what day of the week you will have recycling pick-up, . You may also want to call-Environmental Planning can help! (763) 572-3594.
Free Upgrade to Larger 96 Gallon Recycling Carts Available at No Charge!!
Call the City Recycling provider Republic (formerly Allied) Services to request your free upgrade to a larger recycling cart at 952-941-5174. The larger cart is not much bigger at the base, just a bit taller.
Billing for recycling is done by the City of Fridley in conjunction with the Water bill. There is no tax assessed on recyclables but the state does charge 9.75% tax on garbage. Some households request a free larger recycling cart and reduce the size of their garbage cart when they thoroughly utilize recycling.
Need to set up garbage and yard waste pick-up service? Contact a licensed garbage hauler to set up service. Weekly garbage service is required by code.
Yard waste is a separate service contracted for with your garbage company and is optional because residents could also take yard waste to the Bunker Hills Compost site in Coon Rapids or practice at-home composting to create a reusable product for flower beds and vegetable gardens! The City does not pick up yard waste or Christmas trees.
Additional Information about Curbside Recycling
- No need to sort recyclables into categories since our recycling program is single sort: throw everything recyclable into the cart together. The recycling cart is collected every 2 weeks and your zone is on your home address on the city website, along with your lot and other information.
- All plastics marked #1-7 are recyclable
- Although the original recycling carts issued in 2012 was 65 gallon size, free up-sizing to a 96 gallon cart is available now, since many residents are finding the original cart is too small. The cart is slightly taller than the 65 gallon size but not much wider. Call the City's recycling contractor, Republic to request one: (952) 941-5174.
- If you have a large family or home business that generates a lot of recyclables, the larger 96 gallon cart can be handy. Or, if you have a lot of cardboard boxes, you'll want to have the largest size cart or save the cardboard for the Drop-off Day Events, 3 times per year.
- Don't put plastic bags into the recycling cart. Check your local grocery store - many collect plastic bags for recycling.
- You can downsize your garbage cart size if you are diligent about recycling everything that is eligible. Garbage is taxed by the state and recycling isn't, so it makes good dollar$ and $ense to recycle more.
- Please recycle rinsed milk, cream and 1/2 and 1/2 containers and yogurt cups.
Please Help Fridley Recycle More: We've slowed down after the initial single-sort recycling roll-out and are tossing too many recyclables like plastics and even pop cans! Let's Do More!
If you have recycling questions, please call the City of Fridley Environmental Planner at (763) 572-3594.