Summer ROCKS will be back for 2021!
This is a popular, all-day program (7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) hosted at the Fridley Middle School. Summer ROCKS offers continuous activities running June 15 - August 20. Kids grade K-7 get to participate a wide variety of activities each week (see ROCKS Daily Schedule & Weekly Class Schedule for details).
All activities are included in the weekly fee of $150. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we have made some modifications to the format of this program to keep group sizes small, provide social distancing, and ensure a clean environment. See Programs Modifications for additional information.
- ROCKS Daily Schedule
- Weekly Activity Schedule
- Afternoon Activities
- Program Modifications
- How to Register
What your day at ROCKS looks like:
7:30 - 8:20 a.m. Arrival & Hang-out
- During this time participants can play games, read a book, watch a cartoon or work on an art project with the ROCKS staff.
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Morning Instructional ROCKS Classes
- Participants will participate in 3 different classes ranging from sports/games/arts & crafts/ nature and enrichment. To reduce interactions amoun large groups of childen during the summer 2021 participants will stay with the same group of 10 throughout the summer and use the same classroom for their indoor classes.
12:00 - 1:00 p.m. Lunch & Recess at Commons Park
- Children will bring their own lunch and eat at the picnic tables or on the grass at Commons Park and then have time to play on the playground.
1:00 - 4:30 p.m. Afternoon Programs
- Playground Program (Gr. K-3) at Commons Park
- We'll spend the afternoon outdoors enjoying theme based activities including: games, stories and crafts
- Chill Zone (Gr. 4-7) at the Middle School & Commons Park:
- The afternoon will be filled with games, projects and adventure.
Special Events: Wednesday afternoons
- Throughout the summer we'll have a variety of special events, visitors and entertainment on Wednesday afternoons.
4:30 - 5:00 p.m. Pick-up
- Participants will return to the Fridley Middle School for pick-up.
|Morning Classes||Class 1||Class 2||Class 3||Wednesday Event|
|Week 1: June 15 - 18||Ninja Camp||Art/Clay||Earth Wise||Raptor Center|
|Week 2: June 21 - 25||Commercial Creation||Gym Games||LEGO Fun||Kids Dance DJ|
|Week 3: June 28 - July 1||Bead & Tape Art||Minecraft Builder||Obstacle Mania||Shoebox Parade|
|Week 4: July 6 - 9||Soccer||Wilderness Survivor||Be A Broadcaster||Dazzling Dave Yo Yo|
|Week 5: July 12 - 16||Build It!||Zumba Kids||Wearable Art||Wet & Wild|
|Week 6: July 19 - 23||Slimy, Squishy, Sticky||Make a Music Video||Baseball/Tball/Kickball||America's Fun Science|
|Week 7: July 26 - 30||Karate & Self Defense||Drawing & Paper Projects||Geo Science||Bruce the Bug Guy|
|Week 8: August 2 - 6||Talk Show Time||Track & Field||Yearbook||Nickle Jamboree|
|Week 9: August 9 - 13||Painting||Crazy Concoctions||Snag Golf||Bubble Soccer|
|Week 10: August 16 - 20||Basketball/Floor Hockey||Escape Room||Party Planners||Year End Bash/ Laser Tag|
Playground Program K-3
- It’s time to play! This is a recreational program designed to involve children in a variety of activities, which will promote the development of friendships, good sportsmanship, coordination, motivation and creativity! Each week a new theme will be presented with games, stories, crafts and imagination to provide a well-rounded experience for your child.
Chill Program 4-7
- This is a great place to meet new friends and hang out! We’ll enjoy all that summer has to offer in this program that is full of fun and adventure. Activities will include sports, crafts, games, swimming, billiards, foosball, air hockey, video games and more! Participants will have the opportunity to share their interests with the group and help to plan the schedule of activities as well
Weekly Wednesday Events K - 7
- Throughout the summer we’ll have a variety of special events, visitors and entertainment on Wednesday afternoons. See Weekly Activity Schedule for event schedule.
Open Swim K - 7
- Once a week children will be able to participate in open swim at the Fridley Middle School pool. This time allows the opportunity for young swimmers to practice their skills, or just play and have fun.
It is our goal to provide a safe and fun environment for children this summer while supporting the community in slowing the spread of COVID-19 to encourage getting children back to school in the fall. In an effort to provide a safe environment for our participants and staff during the ongoing pandemic we have made the following modifications to the program.
- Participants will be required to register for the entire summer with the option to take two weeks of vacation tuition free.
- Children will be assigned a pod based on participant ages, in order to keep consistent groups of staff and participants throughout the summer.
- We have replaced field trips with weekly special events and visitors, such as DJs, presentations and activities in order to maintain social distance and decrease exposure risk.
- Participants will use the same classroom for their pods, indoor activities, shared spaces are limited to the gym, restrooms and outdoor fields, playground and shelter.
- Participants and staff will be required to wear masks. We will have scheduled ‘mask breaks’ when social distancing allows.
- Additional distancing and cleaning procedures will also be in place.
For more details please read our Safety Procedure Guidelines document.
How to Register
Registration can be completed only by sending in the necessary registration forms. All forms can be completed online and received via email at recreation@FridleyMN.gov.
If you prefer you to mail in or complete forms in person, please send registration forms to 7071 University Ave NE, Fridley, MN, 55432 or visit Fridley City Hall to complete forms.
Please complete the following registration forms to register your child for Summer ROCKS. The Additional Medical Form is only needed if you are registering more than one child.
If you have question please call Fridley Recreation at 763-572-3570.
Frequently Asked Questions...
1. Can I pay for the program on a weekly basis?
Yes, when you register using the weekly payment plan you will be billed for the first week at time of registration. Thereafter automatically billed the weekly fees each Monday prior to the week of service (credit card payment required).
2. How do I register?
ROCKS registrations can be submitted by e-mail, mail, phone, or in person. Please see the How to Register tab for more information.
3. Is there fee assistance for low income families?
Yes, fee assistance is available to Fridley residents who meet the MN School District Free or Reduced Lunch Program guidelines. Call the Recreation office at 763-572-3570 for more information.
4. What is the deadline to register for summer ROCKS?
Registrations must be received by Tuesday, June 1.
5. What will happen to my registration if the program is full?
If the program is full you will be informed that your child has been added to a waiting list. Participants will be added to the program on a first come first serve basis if space becomes available. There is no charge for your child to be on waiting list.
6. If my plans change after I have registered, can I cancel and get a refund if I prepaid?
Yes, up until June 1st. After that a refund for your cancellation will only be permitted if a replacement registration is available.
7. Can I drop off my child before 7:30 a.m. if I am comfortable leaving them alone?
No, it is the policy of the facility that all children on the property must be supervised by an adult.
8. Can I pick my child up earlier than 5:00 p.m.?
Yes, you may pick up your child anytime throughout the day. Please check the activity schedule so you know if they are at the FMS or Commons Park. It is also required for you to sign your child out with Recreation staff.
9. What if I’m late to pick my child?
It is expected that all children are picked up by 5:00 p.m. A late fee of $5 per child in increments of 5 minutes past the assigned pick-up time will be charged.