Can I Open a Home Business?

Yes! With some limitations, home businesses, known in City Code as Home Occupations, are allowed in Fridley. Key requirements include:

  • Home Occupations are allowed within homes in residential Zoning Districts: R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1, and O-6.
  • The Home Occupation cannot use more than 2 off-street parking spaces, in addition to the spaces required by the home.
  • The Home Occupation should not be identifiable from outside the home. 
  • No more than 1 non-resident employee is allowed. All other employees must reside in the home.
  • Retail sales are prohibited, unless incidental to a service (e.g., a barber selling shampoo), or sales conducted by mail.
  • No more than three garage sales may be held per year. Sales may last up to 3 days at a time.
  • The following are not allowed as Home Occupations: massage therapy, automotive repair, commercial food service, and businesses with more than 10 customer vehicles per day.

Fridley does not issue Home Occupation licenses. Depending on the type of Home Occupation, other approvals may be required from other agencies (ex: Family Child Care Provider license, Cottage Food Producer registration, etc.) 

Read more about Home Occupations in this handout or Fridley City Code Chapter 205

Show All Answers

1. I am moving to Fridley. Who do I contact for utilities?
2. Where do I find a list of waste haulers / garbage collectors?
3. Where do I register my children for school?
4. Where do I vote?
5. What can I recycle?
6. Where can I find bus, Park & Rides or Northstar information?
7. Do I need a cat / dog license?
8. When do I need a building permit? What home projects require a permit?
9. When does the City Council meet? Where can I view agendas/minutes/meetings?
10. Where can I find County resources such as job training, economic assistance and public health services?
11. Can I Open a Home Business?